HRD Ministry’s decision on Board marks weightage in JEE
As per the trend followed until 2016 year’s JEE examination, Board results had their part to play in deciding the JEE result. Earlier 40% of the total weightage was made by the board examination results while the remaining 60% weightage was purely on the JEE examination basis. This trend was introduced 3 years before by the Congress party which was in the power back then.
But the present NDA government’s HRD Ministry has introduced the change in JEE pattern according to which 12th Board Exam results will not be considered in the JEE examination for the selection in 31 NIT’s (National Institute of technology). The changes made will come in effect from JEE 2017.
From 2017, NIT’s will follow the same pattern as of IIT’s, in virtue of which Board exam marks will play no part in deciding the Rank but it will be considered during the allotment of seats (Candidate must have scored between top 20 percentile of marks in 12th Board Exam). This means that rank will be purely decided on the basis of JEE examination but at the time of allotment of seat in NIT, your board marks must be above 75%.
3 years earlier the practice of giving weightage to board marks was introduced to control the increasing influence of coaching industry but the results were not favourable over these last two years. Instead coaching industry increased from 15% to 19%. Now on the amendment introduced by an anonymous member of 9 Member panel said that the students go to coaching institutes due to advanced or tougher curriculum of JEE which is not covered in schools.
9 Member panel has now got assurance from the IIT’s and NIT’s that the questions will be asked from the topics covered in 11th and 12th syllabus.
What do you think? Is the amendment made in the JEE pattern correct?